"It is He who reveals the profound and hidden things; He knows what is in the darkness, and the light dwells with Him." -Daniel 2:22
"Do not fear, for I am with you..." -Isaiah 43:5
"...we are not presenting our supplications before You on account of any merits of our own, but on account of Your great compassion." -Daniel 9:18
"

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Velcade

The latest chemo treatment was not suppose to make him sick, but he is feeling pretty lousy. I don't know if it is because they started him on it even before he finished with the radiation or if that has anything to do with it at all. I am praying that this is just his body getting used to the new drugs. He got up and went to work, anyway.
Isn't cancer just a cruel thing? We were going along pretty good. Things seemed to be getting better. Everyone told me how great he looked. He spent the weekend working around the farm, cleaning up metal. He has still had some side effects, but nothing he couldn't handle with some medicine.
Last week we went to visit at Campfire Creek Therapeutic Riding Center out near Five Points, south of Waxahachie. Our friend, Jill is just getting it started with her friends, Emily and Bobby. We had a great time getting to know these wonderful people. We have decided to begin volunteering to help them get this ministry growing. I am helping administratively Al hasn't yet determined what he will do. I imagine he will be a side walker or something of that nature, as he has always wanted to work with special needs kids.
We meet some other great volunteers and were looking forward to our first night out at the center together. But when Al came home last night he did not feel like going out there with me. I was disappointed, but I took Justin's girlfriend, Charli with me. She wants to help them with the horses. I am hoping Justin will get involved, also. My friend CJ came out to meet Emily and Bobby and Jill. She gave them some insight into a new program for RAD kids (look it up on the internet) called Beyond Consequences, for emotional challenged kids.
The riding center is building a new barn, arena and bunkhouse/studio. It will all be available for groups besides their riding therapy, art therapy and EAC (equine assisted counseling) They want it to be used for a place of healing from all types of physical, emotional and spiritual challenges.
Anyway, more about that on another blog. I have high hopes for this to be the direction God is leading us as a family. To be involved with His work through a ministry that is making a difference in the lives of others. It is not probably one I would have chosen on my own, but after just a couple of visits with these folks, I feel God in the whole scheme.
Al is excited to have a way to help others. Since his body is less able to do the physical activities that he is accustomed to, this will give him an outlet for some of that energy. He has always been an extremely mobile person. Always on the go. Extremely generous, too. He needs a way to use his energies. He and Bobby hit it off right away. He also met Donny, who is the unofficial chaplain of this new endeavor. They plan on having men's breakfasts out in the new barn, when that gets finished.
I ask for your prayers for Al's body to settle down with this new drug. Velcade. That God would lay His hands upon him. I thank the Lord for this new opportunity to focus on others needs.

Playlist