"It is He who reveals the profound and hidden things; He knows what is in the darkness, and the light dwells with Him." -Daniel 2:22
"Do not fear, for I am with you..." -Isaiah 43:5
"...we are not presenting our supplications before You on account of any merits of our own, but on account of Your great compassion." -Daniel 9:18
"

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Book Review: Same Kind of Different As Me

I want to thank CJ and Beth for recommending this book to me. They don't know each other, but both mentioned this book to me within the space of a few weeks. I thought I should check it out. CJ brought it to me last week. I read a few chapters when I had some time, but this morning God was gracious enough to clear my slate long enough for me to finish reading the whole thing.
What a blessing! It is a book that everyone should read. I don't care who you are - you can learn something. I do not know how you can read this story and not be moved to racking sobs, as I was, because of the examples God has blessed us with.
Aside from the touching story of what a difference one person can make, is the amazing gift of how God works through people.
The wisdom He gives to some to share, even those who have never read His Word, but know it.
The struggles and disagreements that even true believers have with their God.
The bottomless well of compassion He allows some to spread across all boundaries.
The amazing work He can do with a ready and willing heart.
The amazing work He can do with a closed and stubborn heart.
If you are paying attention, you will see how we, as Christians (and as churches) need to quit judging each other based on all the things we judge each other on: race, looks, clothes, cars, money, knowledge (a biggie!), lack of visible sin, lack of visible service, jobs, homes....the list is endless!
We need to get back to just loving each other...that is what makes a difference.
I hope that you will find this book and read it and share it. After all of that - that you will find a way to make a change in your own life and the life of someone else, through the love of Christ. You will be blessed.
If you have read this book, I would love to hear your review...just post a comment here on my blog...

4 comments:

Perspective is Everything said...

omg! I can't believe you finished it already! YAY .. I was sobbing too!... It is a must read! XOXOXO so glad you liked it.. knew you would.

Kerry said...

Hey Karen! I have read this book and was touched as well. Kelsey and I have been privileged to meet Denver and Ron twice at different benefits for Union Gospel Mission and for Operation Care Dallas. We are collecting coats, sleeping bags, blankets, shoes and new socks and a new toy for a child for Operation Care Dallas. The deadline for donations is 12/7/08. If you know of anyone wanting to donate items let me know. Also, the "Christmas Party" is November 13 if anyone wants to volunteer. It will be at the Dallas Convention Center. You can spread the word for us...Their website is www.operationcaredallas.org If you do collect items I can come pick up from you. Thanks!

Rusty said...

Karen, I read this book after Beth, and I thought it was such an amazing story that I bought a dozen of them to give to friends. It is truly eye-opening and inspiring.

Geneva said...

Hi, Karen! I LOVE this book. I just read it a few weeks ago. What an amazing and inspiring message. A wonderful reminder of how God can work in all circumstances.

Playlist